Welcome to our Governors’ section.
Francis Baily Primary School is one of three schools working in partnership under the Kennet School Academies Trust, governed by a board of directors. The school itself is overseen by our governing body under the authority delegated to it by the Trust. It is responsible for the strategic leadership of the school, for the school's financial and academic performance, for safeguarding our pupils and for holding the Headteacher to account.
Governors act collectively as the governing body, exercising their powers in a primary strategic leadership role; they do not get involved in the day-to-day running of the school. Governing body can establish committees but members are not governors unless they are also members of the Governing Body. Francis Baily Primary School operates two committees that combined cover the work of the school and the responsibilities of the governors. They are:
- Curriculum and Pastoral Committee
- Staffing and Finance Committee.
As well as attending governing body meetings, governors are expected to be a member of at least one committee and to engage in appropriate governor and school activities. Governors also serve on various panels that decide on specific matters such as grievance, complaints and staff appointments. The Governing Body generally meets four times a year and each committee once a term.
Governors are appointed in a number of different ways:
- Trust Governors are appointed by the board of trustees. A trust governor is a person appointed by the Board of Trustees of the Kennet School Academies Trust.
- Parent Governors are elected by ballot of all parents and carers of current pupils. A parent governor must be a parent of a pupil at our academy at the time of their election and are appointed by the governing body following a secret ballot of all parents/carers of registered pupils at the academy.
- Community Governors are appointed by the governing body to reflect its community and stakeholders.
- Staff Governors must be employed in that capacity by the academy and will cease to be a governor if they cease to work at the academy; teaching staff governors are appointed by the governing body following a secret ballot of all teaching staff; non-teaching staff governors are appointed by the governing body following a secret ballot of all non-teaching staff.
- The Headteacher is a governor ex-officio.
All Governors, except the Headteacher, serve for a term of office of four years but can be reappointed.
More detailed information on Francis Baily Primary School's Local Governing Board, such as:
- Register of Interest
- Records of Attendance and the Basis of Appointments
- Annual Report and Financial Statements
- Gender Pay Gap
can all be found on Kennet School Academies Trust page.
Francis Baily Primary School Local Governing Board (LGB)
Mrs Ginette Kilroy (Chair of LGB)
Mr Chris Ellison
Mrs Lynne Phillips
Mr Ken Hillerton
Mrs Helen Sayers
Mrs Sharyn Ladds
Dr Sarah Rayfield (Safeguarding Governor)
Mrs Jackie Wood
Miss Elizabeth Hobbs
Contact Local Governing Board
Chair: Mrs Ginette Kilroy
Address: c/o Francis Baily Primary School, Skillman Drive, Thatcham, Berkshire RG19 4GG
|Category of governor*||Name of governor||Appointed by||Term of office||Committee membership||Any position of responsibility***|
|Parent||Lynne Phillips||Elected by parents||13.10.2016 – 12.10.2020||Staffing & Finance||SEN&D|
|Parent||Sarah Rayfield||Elected by parents||11.1.2019 – 10.1.2023||Pastoral & Curriculum||Safeguarding|
|Staff||Jackie Wood||Elected by staff||
|Staff||Elizabeth Hobbs||Elected by staff||27.02.2020 – 26.02.2024||Pastoral & Curriculum|
|Head teacher||Yvonne Standing||Ex officio||
| The Governing Board
The Governing Board
17.02.2018 – 16.01.2022
Pastoral & Curriculum
Staffing & Finance
Health & Safety
|The Governing Board
The Governing Board
|01.03.2019 – 28.02.2023
Staffing & Finance
|Local Governor||Vacancy||The Governing Board|
|Local Governor||Ginette Kilroy||The Governing Board||01.03.2019 – 28.02.2023||Chair of Governors, Data, ICT, online Safety|
|Local Governor||Chris Ellison||The Governing Board||10.2.2020 – 09.02.2024||Pastoral & Curriculum|
Pauline Ford Clerk to the Governors
Newsletters from the Governors
Minutes of Meetings
Approved minutes of meetings of the governing board are available for downloading below